With significant snow in the forecast this weekend, remember that the best way to be safe on the road is to not drive if you do not need to. And if roads are declared closed during the snowstorm it will be illegal to drive during those periods.
If roads are not closed but conditions remain dangerous but you must drive somewhere, follow these tips to drive safely and avoid getting stuck or losing control of your vehicle:
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Clear all snow and ice from your windshield, windows and roof of the car before driving to ensure proper visibility while driving and to not risk the safety of other drivers.
- Do not use cruise control on wet or icy roads.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Drive slowly and allow at least 8-10 seconds of reaction time between you and the next vehicle.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly to avoid sliding.
- Slowly approach red lights to be able to continue moving when the light turns green.
- Don’t try to power up hills by quickly accelerating which will end up with your wheels spinning. Instead try to build up inertia before going uphill and using the momentum to carry your vehicle up.