Parking facilities are places where criminals often look for victims to rob or assault. Take steps to keep yourself safe when parking and when returning to your car.
- At night, park under or near lights and, when walking to or from your car, take the most well-lit route.
- Lock your doors once you get inside your car.
- Back into spaces so if you need to get out quickly it’s easier.
- When walking back to your car, hold your keys in your hand so you can get into your car quickly.
- If you feel unsafe, ask a security guard to walk you to your car. If there is no security presence and you sense danger, leave and come back later. Trust your instincts.
- As you collect things in your car after parking, leave the engine running until you are ready to exit. Check your surroundings to make sure it is safe before getting out.← Information sought on sexual assault suspect Officers of the Week – Ryan Kennedy and Jeremy Feliciano →